The Secretariat of the Inspector-General of Police was established in December 1987 with the objective of serving as a clearing house for all matters that require the immediate attention of the Inspector-General-General of Police. The Secretariat assists the IGP in running the Force through the following:
1. Preparation of internal memoranda for the Inspector-General of Police;
2. Organizing and coordination of all local and foreign official visits for the Inspector-General of Police;
3. Accompanying the Inspector-General of Police on Local and foreign tours to cover the proceedings of such tours;
4. Preparation of speeches/lecture papers to be delivered by the Inspector-General of Police at different fora whenever he is invited as one of the guest speakers;
5. Covering of all important meetings, conferences and press briefings attended by the Inspector-General of Police.
Processing/handling of matters bordering on promotion, discipline and petitions coming from members of the Force and the general public.
Compilation of weekly briefing on the activities of the Force, National events and Presidential engagements which are forwarded to the President and other government officials. Coordination of peacekeeping operations and the community policing project. There is also an Annex of the IGP Secretariat at the former Force Headquarters in Lagos headed by an officer who acts as the liaison officer for the IGP in Lagos State. For effective coordination of its official functions, the Secretariat is divided into the following offices:
1. Principal Staff Officer to the IGP;
2. Personal Assistant to the IGP (PA)
3. Staff officers to the IGP
4. Administrative/Mail Office
5. Central Information System Unit
6. Internet Unit
7. Protocool unit
8.Typing/Computer and Photocopy Office
9.Mechanised Salary Section (MSS) and Finance Office;
10. Conference Hall
The IGP Secretariat is headed by Ag. ACP Idowu Owohunwa who coordinates the activities of all the officers in the IGP Secretariat and also serve as a link between the IGP and members of the Force.
- PRESS BRIEFING PARADE OF PROHIBITED FIREARMS, ILLEGAL WEAPONS AND LOCALLY FABRICATED LETHAL DEVICES RECOVERED IN THE ONGOING MOP-UP OF FIREARMS/ILLEGAL WEAPONS BY THE FORCE HEADQUARTERS JOINT TASK ENFORCEMENT TEAM; BY THE FORCE PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER, ACP JIMOH MOSHOOD AT THE FORCE HEADQUARTERS, ABUJA ON 9TH APRIL, 2018. Read more
- PRESS RELEASE INSPECTOR GENERAL OF POLICE HAS ORDERED DEPLOYMENT OF THREE (3) POLICE MOBILE FORCE UNITS, HIGH POWERED POLICE INVESTIGATION TEAM, ARMOURED PERSONNEL CARRIER (APC) TO KWARA STATE AND THREE (3) ADDITIONAL POLICE MOBILE FORCE UNITS TO TARABA STATE TO BEEF UP SECURITY IN THE TWO (2) STATES, PREVENT FURTHER ATTACKS, ARREST PERPETRATORS AND CARRYOUT DISCREET INVESTIGATION INTO THE OFFA BANKS ROBBERY IN KWARA STATE AND RECENT KILLINGS IN TARABA STATE. Read more
- PRESS BRIEFING REARREST OF TWO PRINCIPAL SUSPECTS (KABIRU SEIDU A.K.A OSAMA, NUHU SALISU A.K.A SMALL) WHOSE CONFESSION INDICTED SENATOR DINO MELAYE AND MOHAMMED AUDU AND FOUR OTHER SUSPECTS THAT ESCAPED FROM LAWFUL CUSTODY AT THE POLICE ‘A’ DIVISION, LOKOJA, KOGI STATE ON 28TH MARCH, 2018. Read more
- PRESS RELEASE RE: RELEASE OF LAST DAPCHI SCHOOL GIRL · IGP MISQUOTED Read more