Zone 9 was established in December 2000, but commenced its operation in January, 2001. It is located in the South-Eastern Geopolitical Zone of Nigeria and comprises of Enugu, Anambra, Imo, and Abia States with its Headquarters in Umuahia. As at the time of compiling this report the zone was headed by AIG Usaman Akila Gwarry. The entire zone has a population of about 14,208,234 based on the 2006 census figures and combined police strength of 49,791 officers and men.
In the year under review, Abia State Police Command as a result of loyalty and commitment to duty exhibited by the officers and men of the command recorded a remarkable achievement in crime fighting. A total of 7 vehicles and assorted arms were recovered from hoodlums. Anambra State Command also made remarkable achievements by recording fifty five cases of armed robbery including Two hundred and Twelve suspects. Twelve cases with thirty six suspects were charged to court with three of the suspects convicted, forty-two of the cases under investigation and a total of Two hundred and twenty weapons of various categories were recovered.
Enugu State Police Command was confronted with violent crimes such as Armed Robbery, Kidnapping and cultism but with the efforts of the committed officers of the command, the crimes were confronted head-on leading to the arrest of Seven Hundred and forty-seven Armed Robbery suspects, recovery of thirty-six assorted arms, one hundred and twenty-four stolen vehicles, one hundred and twenty kidnap suspects were arrested among whom Forty-nine were charged to court.
Imo state police command recorded a total number of 3, 819 cases 5226 persons arrested, 1074 cases prosecuted, 93 cases and 668 persons convicted, 981 cases waiting trail, 1,371 under investigation while 300 were refused. 253 persons discharged, 1840 persons awaiting trial while the remaining 2465 persons are under investigation.
* Lack of barracks accommodation.
* Insufficient operational vehicles.
* Inadequate communication gadgets.
* Inadequate Manpower.
MANPOWER WASTAGE FOR ZONE 9 COMMAND HEADQUARTERS, ABUJA, 2012
|S/NO||TYPE OF WASTAGE||TOTAL (JAN-DEC) 2012|
- PRESS BRIEFING PARADE OF A NOTORIOUS FRAUDSTERS SYNDICATE THAT SPECIALIZED IN IMPERSONATION AND IDENTITY THEFT OF PUBLIC OFFICE HOLDERS, POLITICIANS, CAPTAINS OF INDUSTRY AND OTHER PROMINENT PERSONALITIES AT THE FORCE HEADQUARTERS, ABUJA BY CSP JIMOH MOSHOOD, FORCE PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER FORCE HEADQUARTERS, ABUJA ON 30TH OF MARCH, 2017 Read more
- PRESS BRIFING PARADE OF VICIOUS AND NOTORIOUS KIDNAP FOR RANSOM GANG/CULTISTS RESPONSIBLE FOR SEVERAL KIDNAPPINGS, ARMED ROBBERIES AND CULTISM IN RIVERS AND OTHER STATES IN THE SOUTH- SOUTH. AT THE FORCE HEADQUARTERS, ABUJA BY CSP JIMOH MOSHOOD, FORCE PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER FORCE HEADQUARTERS, ABUJA ON 28TH OF MARCH, 2017 Read more
- PRESS RELEASE INSPECTOR GENERAL OF POLICE DEPLOYS POLICE SPECIAL TACTICAL FORCE TO ZAKI-BIAM AND OTHER TROUBLED SPOTS/ FLASH POINTS, BENUE STATE TO RESTORE LASTING PEACE AND PREVENT FURTHER LOSS OF LIVES. Read more
- PRESS BRIEFING PARADE OF SUSPECTS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE UNFORTUNATE CLASHES, DISTURBANCE OF PUBLIC PEACE AND MAYHEM THAT OCCURRED IN ILE-IFE, OSUN STATE ON THE 8TH OF MARCH, 2017 WHICH RESULTED IN THE LOSS OF SO MANY INNOCENT LIVES AND PROPERTIES WORTH MILLIONS OF NAIRA DESTROYED. Read more